21 Acres Solar Home Design Course- 6 Tuesdays
Plan for smart solar energy conversions — affordable and real solutions for real people. Are you considering building an addition or new structure and thinking about installing solar panels? Would you like to offset your electricity use with on-site solar? Are you ready to help alleviate the environmental impacts of coal-generated electricity?
In the NW our electricity is produced primarily by hydro, nuclear, and natural gas. Oil is not used to make electricity in just about the entire U.S. If you use "gas" use "natural gas," and even though it produces CO2, its environmental impacts are dramatically less than coal, which is a major fuel source for PSE purchased electricity. If you are asking yourself these questions, then attend our inaugural Solar Home Design course and learn how to use the sun for heat, power, and comfort.
This is a six week course, meeting Tuesdays for 2 hours at 21 Acres.
- Session 1: Solar 101-The Basics of Residential Solar Use; Cut through the chaos and get focused on a specific project
- Session 2: Passive Solar Strategies for Residential Design and applications; Learn about heating, cooling and daylighting – system types and characteristics
- Session 3: Sizing, Performance, Costs and Benefits; Get answers to questions: What capacity should I consider? How many solar panels do I need? Plan a system to meet everyday needs. Recoup the investment with long term savings thru Washington State’s cost recovery system
- Session 4: Solar Thermal from A-Z, Design Construction and Operation; Explore residential and backyard farming applications, (i.e. options for greenhouses, residential hot water, passive thermal collection)
- Session 5: Photovoltaic PV systems A to Z, Design, Construction, Operations; Covers engineering, resources, approved contractor lists, smart sourcing of supplies, and, info re who to call next after the class
- Session 6: Off Grid System Types and Operations (urban and rural); Learn about irrigation, water capture and pumping, garden features. Covers small panel independent system set-up. Good for ponds, fountains and outdoor lighting.
Jeremy Smithson, CEO and founder of Puget Sound Solar, is a NABCEP Certified Solar Thermal and Solar PV Installer and a WA State Certified Electrical Administrator. Jeremy is a popular lecturer and teacher on sustainable energy.
Chris Herman, Owner, Winter Sun Design, has been consulting on and designing/drawing plans for complete, green, solar homes for 25 years in the Pacific Northwest. Chris is regularly called upon to create systems: He developed Snohomish PUD’s Solar Express Incentive Program which is widely recognized as a model.
21 Acres is a nonprofit school dedicated to helping people learn how to grow, eat and live sustainably. This course qualifies for the Sustainability Stewardship Certificate. Enroll, register for this class and receive CEUs towards your certificate.
Enrollment/Registration: In order to take this course students must first enroll in the 21 Acres School as a student. Enrollment is $45 for a two year period. Enrollees receive advance notice of class availability and on occasion special discount offers on classes. Enroll and register on-line at http://solarhomedesigncourse.eventbrite.com.
- Early Bird Rate — Before May 1, 2012 ...................... $195
- Discounted Rate for Members of 21 Acres* ................. $210; * Join 21 Acres as a member and receive discounted rates for most courses and classes.
- Standard Rate—After May 1, 2012 ............................... $225
If you have questions, contact us: (425)481-1500, firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 09, 2012 01:30 AM
Jun 06, 2012 03:30 AM
|Where||21 Acres Center for Local Food and Sustainable Living, 13701 NE 171st St Woodinville, WA 98072|
|Contact Name||21 Acres|
|More information||Read more about this event…|
|Add event to calendar||
vCal (Windows, Linux)
iCal (Mac OS X)