Carrot Cake Cupcakes… Just in Time for Easter!
- posted on: March 25, 2018
- posted by: 21 Acres
Easter is almost here… what better time to share our beloved carrot cake recipe?
If you visited 21 Acres’ last fall then you may have already tasted our kitchen team’s delicious carrot cake cupcakes. Asako, Jak, and the rest of the kitchen crew outdid themselves with this tasty treat. And now we’re sharing the recipe with you, with quantities adjusted by Asako to make it perfect for mixing at home!
21 Acres’ Carrot Cake Cupcakes (aka our most frequently requested recipe of all time!)
4 cups Carrot (grated)
1 3/4 cups Organic Cane Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Molasses
1 2/3 cups Grapeseed Oil or other oil
2 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour *
1/2 Tablespoon Baking Powder
3/4 Tablespoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Cloves
1 teaspoon Salt
* In the 21 Acres Kitchen we use soft white flour grown and milled by Nash’s Organic Farm in Sequim.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grate the carrots and cover with 1/2 cup of sugar. Let sweat for at least 15 minutes. Be sure to reserve all liquid that comes from the carrots.
3. Line two 8-inch cake pans with parchment paper, or use cupcake papers if you’d like individual servings.
4. In a large bowl, mix together oil, eggs, and molasses to a frothy consistency.
5. Add carrots and any carrot liquid to the oil/egg/molasses mixture.
6. In another bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
7. Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix lightly. The resultant mixture should have a pancake-like consistency.
8. Pour mixture into prepared cake pans.
9. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 30 minutes. After the first 15 minutes turn the pan and finish baking until the middle of the cake springs back or a toothpick comes out clean.
Our kitchen team topped their carrot cake cupcakes with a simple cream cheese, butter, and sugar icing and itty-bitty sugared carrots (so adorable!) that Farmer Andrew harvested when they were less than an inch long.
Try this recipe at home and let us know how it goes!