Recipe: Butternut Squash Soup
- posted on: September 10, 2014
- posted by: 21 Acres
Hello! It’s Madeline here, 21 Acres intern.
Every fall, I get so excited for butternut squash season. Roasted alone or with pasta, its slightly sweet flavor and tender, creamy texture is so delicious. I also love it in this simple soup that comes together with almost no effort!
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-1 inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 medium onion, roughly diced (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (olive oil is okay too)
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 3 cups water
- Salt, to taste (I use 1 teaspoon)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Organic sour cream, if desired
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. On a baking sheet, place the squash, onion, oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake for about 45 minutes, or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork and is tender throughout.
Place the squash mixture, vegetable broth, and water into a regular blender and blend until smooth. You may need to do this in several batches, depending on the size of your blender, or you could use an immersion blender. Top with sour cream, if desired, and serve hot or cold.
Thanks for reading! -Madeline